Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Fruit mince pie ice cream

I was starting to think my fridge and freezer would never be rid of Christmas leftovers, but by the start of this week I had managed to use everything but half a fruit cake and 6 fruit mince pies.

Inspired by K's Xmas Pudding Ice Cream from In the Mood for Noodles and figuring that mice pies are really not too dissimilar to using biscuits and a fruit mix, I turned the leftover fruit mince pies into fruit mince pie ice cream. Given that I cheated and used leftover vanilla ice cream rather than making my own ice cream base I was fully prepared for it to be a total failure in food experimentation but it worked really well.

Ingredients

  • 4 cups ice cream, softened
  • 1/4 cup Brandy
  • 6 fruit mince pies
  • 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice 
Method

  1. Mix brandy into the softened ice cream
  2. Chop or crumble the fruit mince pies and mix through the ice cream
  3. Freeze
  4. Eat
  5. Realise how much better fruit mince pies are when encased in ice cream!






I'm not much of a fan of fruit mince pies but in ice cream I actually enjoyed them. Everything is better with ice cream.

3 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about christmas leftovers - we still have panforte, pudding and fruit mince - finally ate a bit more pudding tonight because it was so cold but I quite like the idea of pastry in icecream - now that is decadent

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right! I'm not massively into Christmas pudding or mince pies but folding them into icecream definitely appeals. :-)

    ReplyDelete